If I was charged with a DUI 8 yeas ago, can they make me take DUI classes now?

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was charged with a DUI 8 yeas ago, can they make me take DUI classes now?

I had a misdemeanor DUI and they told me that back then they suggested that I take 20 hours of “classes” (this I do not remember, I completed everything else including my community service, court costs etc…). However, they are saying now that I have to complete the 20 hours that they originally gave me even though there have never been any other occurances of any kind since.

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like you were placed on probation.  It appears from your question, that the court ordered you to do a DUI course, community service and pay a fine.  All of these things had to be done within a certain amount of time.  Usually, if you do not do what you are ordered to do, the prosecutor will file an "Order to Show Cause," this would give you an opportunity to explain why you are no compliant with the courts orders.

A Judge has a lot of discretion on how to handle this.  To be safe, the best course of action would be to complete the 20 hours before the court determines that you are non-compliant with its orders.

Note, usually the court stays a certain period of jail.  The court does that so they can put people in jail when they do not comply with the court's orders.  In this case, you are not in compliance with the court's orders.

Hope this helps


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption