If I wanted to file a restraining order, what would I do and what are the requirements?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I wanted to file a restraining order, what would I do and what are the requirements?

I have been occasionally harassed and threatened by somebody over the phone. Though he hasn’t done anything physical but the things he said gave me enough reasons to believe it is only a matter of time. Recently it has become more frequent and I think my family and I could be in danger. I want to file a restraint order on this person. How should I proceed and what would I need to prove?

Asked on February 14, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are genuinely concerned that the person you are writing about could harm you or your family or you are simply at the point that the calls over the telephone need to stop, you should consult with a family law attorney about the restraining order process.

My experience is that family law attorneys have much practice in preparing such applications for a restraining order and attending the hearing for them. Given the gravity of the situation you are writing about, a professional should be retained to assist you and your family about the restraining order question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption