If I sold timber to someone and he cuts over the property’s lines.am I liable?

UPDATED: May 18, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 18, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I sold timber to someone and he cuts over the property’s lines.am I liable?

The timber cutter wants his money back because he say the property belongs to someone else.

Asked on May 18, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

There is more information that would be needed to answer this question.  You should get into all the details with a local attorney.  One place to find a qualified lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

Some of the facts that matter here are how well the property line is marked, or how good a job you did in making it clear to the timber cutter where the line is.  If he cut timber from your property and from someone else's, he isn't due a complete refund, I wouldn't think, even if you were at least partly to blame for the mistake.  If it's all his mistake, it's his problem.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption