If I signed a contract with a union to pay legal fees, am I obligated to pay all fees if I quit the job and union?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I signed a contract with a union to pay legal fees, am I obligated to pay all fees if I quit the job and union?

I signed a contract with a lawyer as part of a union to agree to pay legal fees during a contract negotiation. I left the job and union, and paid all fees that accrued up to the date of my departure. They are trying to have me pay the remaining fees for services that were

provided to the union after my quit date. Am I legally responsible to pay these fees even though I was no longer an employee and part of the union?

Asked on January 11, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It depends on the wording of the contract: the law takes no position on this issue, but rather leaves it to what the parties agreed to (and obligated themselves to) in the contract. If the contract requires you pay all fees during or from the negotiation, even though incurred after you leave, you have to pay them; on the other hand, if the contract only required you to pay fees related to negotiations affecting *your job*, then once you leave (and don't have a job), you would not owe further fees. Contracts are governed by their terms or language; your obligation in this regard depends on what exactly the contract says. If you and the union disagree about this, you could refuse to pay, let them sue you (if they think it's economically worthwhile), and let a court decide what the contract says.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption