If I signed a contract in GA but the company that owns the contract is in UT do I need to file a small courts claim in UT? or GA?

UPDATED: May 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I signed a contract in GA but the company that owns the contract is in UT do I need to file a small courts claim in UT? or GA?

i signed a gym membership in GA and cancelled it several months later. Recently I found out that the company reported a balance to the credit bureau. I have since sent them the cancellation that they have sent me but they refuse to honor it. I wish to take them to court but I am not sure which court I file a claim with.

Asked on May 15, 2009 under Business Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Many small claims courts have limited jurisdiction and can only hear cases involving parties that are located within the area, or that can be served in your area. Go to the small claims court clerk in your area and ask if you could bring suit against the gym rather than the finance company. If so, then the gym may contact the finance company to work things out. 

If you have to go from Georgia to Utah to file a small claims court action, it's unlikely to be worth your while.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption