If I sell personal possessions on ebay while collecting unemployment, is that considered income?

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I sell personal possessions on ebay while collecting unemployment, is that considered income?

Unemployment will not cover all of my bills and I have to make up the difference somewhere. Is there a limit to the amount I can sell and will I be ineligible to collect unemployment benefits for any amount of time?

Asked on June 30, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Selling possessions which you already own and were not bought for the purpose of resale should not count as income from employment for purposes of unemployment compensation--only income from work or business counts against you for unemployment compensation purposes (e.g. interest or divident income does not). If you purchase items to resell them, including "informally" at a yard or tag sale or flea market, however, then you are engaged in a business and the income would be counted against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption