If I rent a room in my house am I required to have homeowner’s insurance?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I rent a room in my house am I required to have homeowner’s insurance?

If I have a problem with my insurance company in which my insurance policy lapses would this affect my ability to rent out a room?

Asked on September 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are not required to have homeowner's insurance if you rent a room out in your home. However, having this type of insurance is a prudent thing to have especially if you are a homeowner. Insurance is a means to protect your personal assets in the event of a lawsuit against you and if liabilty and damages are proved by the person damages.

There will be no issue about you being able to rent out a room in your home if your homeowner's insurance policy lapses. A property owner is free to rent out his or her home or a room in it even if there is no policy of insurance with respect to it.

If you do rent out a room in your home and do have a homeowner's insurance policy in place, you should advise your insurance agent that you do have a renter to be on the safe side for liability purposes.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption