If I receive Alimony and can’t legally get married without losing benefits, what are my options?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I receive Alimony and can’t legally get married without losing benefits, what are my options?

My divorce decree states I cannot remarry. I would like to have a non-legal ceremony for a dying parent. What are my options?

Asked on February 8, 2017 under Family Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

A non-legal ceremony (e.g. a purely religious ceremony not done to create a legally recognized marriage, or a "commitment" ceremony, and when there is no marriage license) is not marriage: it will not violate a stricture on not remarrying, since it does not confer any of the rights or obligations of marriage. Having such a ceremony does not change your status: you'll still be single. If the divorce decree states that if you live with or are supported by another, you will lose alimony (some decrees do), you could have trouble on that basis due to your financial or living arrangments, but that has nothing to do with the ceremony itself.
Note that your state does not recognize "common law marriages." If, however, you move to a state which does, then if you hold yourself out as husband and wife or spouses, you could end up creating a marriage in that way without a license or legally binding ceremony, so be careful of where you move, if this is an issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption