If I quit my job of 3 months due to social anxiet disorder, could I get disability or unemployment benefits?

UPDATED: Jan 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I quit my job of 3 months due to social anxiet disorder, could I get disability or unemployment benefits?

I have a panic attack every morning (often times the night before) when I have to work. When they started I could talk myself through it but I cant anymore. Last week I was diagnosed with social anxiety and haven’t been able to go back since. If I quit my job because of the panic attacks are is there any type of help or benefits I could get to help with my bills until I find something else?

Asked on January 10, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You would not be able to get unemployment: unemployment is only available when the company fires, terminates, lays off, etc. you, not when you voluntarily leave employment, even for good reason.

I believe that sometimes, you can get disability if you cannnot work for mental/emotional health reasons, but I believe the "bar," so to speak, to qualify for that is very high. I recommend consulting in person with an attorney with experience in disability cases first, to understand whether you might qualify. Note, however, that I believe it would have to be the case that you are so severly affected that you can't work anywhere--not merely that *this* job gives you anxiety.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption