If I quit my job due to PT not transitioning to FT as promised, how long until the vacancy can be advertised as FT?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I quit my job due to PT not transitioning to FT as promised, how long until the vacancy can be advertised as FT?

I work in the University System of Georgia. I was hired away from a different university in Sept 2015 to move back home to Atlanta for a part-time offer family was here so I took the job. The hiring director told me she was in the process of converting the position to full-time – but she left in Oct. prior to the transition. Her replacement advised me that there was going to be no such change until the fiscal year resets on July 1, 2016. I was notified earlier this week that the position was going to remain part-time. If I leave the school, can they open the vacancy up as full-time immediately or does some time have to pass? The new director has already brought in his ‘friends’ as consultants for various roles before removing the current employee and inserting his buddy into the role at a pay increase. I want to know my options.

Asked on June 8, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that most employment arrangments are what is know as "at will". This means that an employer can set the conditions of work much as it sees fit. This includes if or when to convert a part-time into a full-time position. That is unless doing so will violate a union agreement or employment contract, or such action will constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination (neither of hwich you indicate is the case). Bottom line, you have no real options here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption