If I own a car with no insurance on it and my friend wrecks it, can the other person in the wreck sue me?

UPDATED: Feb 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I own a car with no insurance on it and my friend wrecks it, can the other person in the wreck sue me?

I dumbly put a car in my name for a friend, and she were going to switch it back asap. She wrecked the car a few days later. I did not put the car on my insurance. The other guy’s lawyer told me if we don’t pay for the other vehicle, my friend and I would both get our license suspended. Can they do that to me just for owning the car?

Asked on February 14, 2012 under Accident Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As the registered owner of the vehicle, you are liable for the accident caused by your friend who was driving your car.  Your liability would include property damage to the other vehicle and personal injury claims of the occupants.  The personal injury claims would include their medical bills, pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills and wage loss.

Since you didn't have insurance, you will be sued by the other driver and/or occupants of that vehicle.

As for having your license suspended, the attorney is probably referring to the fact that you did not have auto insurance.  The penalty for  operating a vehicle without auto insurance varies from state to state.  It is possible that having a driver's license suspended may be the penalty for driving without insurance or being the owner of a vehicle driven by another without insurance, but I am not certain of the exact penalty in your state since it varies from state to state.

If you are sued and a judgment is obtained against you which you can't afford to pay, you might want to consider filing bankruptcy.  It would be premature to file bankruptcy until there is a court judgment against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption