If I own 50 50 of a house but not livin there the other person is do I have to pay half of the taxes and insurance

UPDATED: Feb 5, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 5, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I own 50 50 of a house but not livin there the other person is do I have to pay half of the taxes and insurance

50 50 co ownership laws

Asked on February 5, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It's more a matter than you can't force the other owner to pay these amounts in full by him/herself, so if between the two of you, the taxes are not paid in full, the home can be taken and sold for unpaid taxes; or if the insurance is not paid, you will not have insurance, which not only is bad in and of itself but if you have a mortgage, would almost certainly constitute a default or breach under the terms of the mortgage agreement, allowing the lender to foreclose. So unless the other owner is willing to bear these costs in full, if you don't contribute, you could lose the house.
You may wish to consider selling the house, splitting the proceeds, and going your separate ways. If the other owner will not voluntarily agree to a sale, you can bring a kind of legal action generally known as an action "for partition" to get a court order mandating a sale of the home. To explore this option, consult with a real estate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption