If I move out-of-state can I get rid of an ignition control device?

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I move out-of-state can I get rid of an ignition control device?

I got a 0.09 DUI in AZ last week. Most likely when I go to court I will be required to have an ignition interlock placed in my vehicle, per state law. I am a resident of AZ, but I am moving to CA. Once I have a valid AZ driver’s license and the required interlock, will I be able to remove the interlock when I am a CA resident? My thought is that if I surrender my AZ driver’s license to CA DMV, get a CA DL, and have the ignition interlock removed, it wouldn’t matter because I would no longer be living under AZ laws. Is this correct?

Asked on January 14, 2011 under Criminal Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Legally there is some form of reciprocity among virtually all states regarding DUI convictions.  Accordingly, as a general rule, the new state will view the DUI as if it happened there and its law will control the penalty. Consequently there is the potential of having the requirement of an ignition interlock device ("IID") follow you.  Under CA law, based on your facts (first time-offender and BAC of .09) an interlock device may be ordered.  However, as of 07/10 a new law went into effect providing that every individual convicted of a DUI offense in Los Angeles, Alameda, Tulare, and Sacramento counties must have installed an IID on any car he/she operates and/or drives for a period of not less than 5 months.

At this point, you should contact the CA DMV and/or contact a DUI attorney in the state to get the specifics of just how your situation might be handled.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption