If I have some land that is in front of a neighbor’s house, can I allow him to mow it or can he claim ownership?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have some land that is in front of a neighbor’s house, can I allow him to mow it or can he claim ownership?

We were letting the woods grow up and cut everything but the large trees down. Now they have asked that we let them mow it and keep it up and they would also plant trees on it. Am I getting set up for an adverse possession?

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are correct about being concerned about adverse possession.  In order for your neighbor to have a claim for adverse possession, he would have to establish continous, hostile, open and notorious and actual use of the property for the statutory period.  If he mows, maintains, plants trees, etc. for the statutory period, he will have an adverse possession claim to the property. 

Continuous is continuous use of the property for the statutory period.  Hostile means the use of the property is in derogation of the true owner's rights.  Open and notorious means that you had notice of the use of the property.  Actual means means making actual use of the property.  These items would have to occur for the statutory period (which varies from state to state) in order for your neighbor to obtain the property by adverse possession.  If your neighbor's use doesn't continue for the statutory period, his successors on the property can add their time until the total required time for the statutory period is satisfied.  This is called tacking, adding the periods of adverse use by different parties until the statutory period for adverse possession is satisfied.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption