If I have been summoned to court for having someone else’s ID what can I do?

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have been summoned to court for having someone else’s ID what can I do?

Asked on November 27, 2011 under Criminal Law, Maine


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have been cited to appear in court for using someone else's identification which is a criminal matter, it is in your best interests to consult with a criminal defense attorney to represent you in this matter. You have to appear at this hearing preferably with an attorney.

A criminal matter is serious in that if convicted, you could be fined, jailed, be ordered to community service and have a permanent criminal record.

My experience is that a criminal defense attorney knows how to resolve a criminal matter much better than a lay person does and a criminal defense attorney typically can minimize the ultimate penalty for his or her client in the event of a plea.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption