If I have an unpaid speeding ticket, will that prevent me from getting a passport for a vacation??

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have an unpaid speeding ticket, will that prevent me from getting a passport for a vacation??

I received a speeding ticket in one state with a license that I had in another. Since then I have not been able to pay the ticket off and my license has been suspended. This was about 2 years ago.

Asked on December 29, 2011 under General Practice, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Most likely an unpaid speeding ticket issued by law enforcement in one of our states will not prevent you from getting an American passport. The reason is that the issuance of American passports are issued from the federal level and not the state level.

Your unpaid speeding ticket was issued at the state level. Despite this, I suggest that you make every effort to get the unpaid speeding ticket paid off sooner rather than later in that accrued interest and penalties have been tacked onto the face amount of the ticket.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption