If I have a small business and there is a family member who we do not want on our business property, is there any way we can restrict them?

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a small business and there is a family member who we do not want on our business property, is there any way we can restrict them?

My mentally disturbed mother-in-law, who continuously is on my property and ruining my business by arguing with me and my customers. I repeatedly told her to stop coming but she does not listen. There has to be some legal action I can take against her being on my property.

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Business Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are not a place of public accomodation (i.e. a bar, restaurant, store, etc.), you have the right to exclude anyone you like. You can tell her to leave; if she won't, she is trespassing and you can call the police. You could also explore getting some sort of protective order against her. And if she has driven away customes, you could possibly sue her for tortius (wrongful) interference with your economic advantage--i.e. sue her for the value of the lost business (if you can prove it with some certainty) and also seek an injunction (court order) preventing her from going to your business.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption