If I have a shoplifting case coming up what can I do before seeing the judge?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a shoplifting case coming up what can I do before seeing the judge?

I’ve been convicted for shoplifting and got arrested. I have to go court in few weeks. I have paid civil demand of $500. I have stole for $235, since I paid $500 I will not have to pay 5 time more. What will happen next? Will I have a record? It happen for the first time. What should I tell in the court?

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a criminal court matter coming up in several weeks, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to represent you or at least see if you can be appointed legal counsel through the public defender's office well before your first appearance in court. It is not a good idea to appear in court without an attorney.

Assuming you retain legal counsel well before your first hearing date, your attorney might be able to work out some settlement as to the charge against you for shoplifting that you might be willing to accept.

Depending upon the offer and if the offense is your first offense, the court might allow court supervision and have you do community service work where if you stay out of trouble for a certain period of time the shoplifting charge could be dismissed and you would not have a criminal record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption