If I have a legal agreement with a law firm to make payments on a judgement, can they now garnish my wages?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a legal agreement with a law firm to make payments on a judgement, can they now garnish my wages?

We have an agreement filed with the court that I make monthly payments, which I have done. They now have sent me a writ of garnishment and there is a legal hold on my checking account. I have no money and if they garnish wages I will not be able to pay my mortgage or eat or get to work. How can they do this?

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You have to read the written agreement that you have with the law firm concerning the judgment against you and the monthly installments you were to make. If the agreement is silent about wage garnishment or other levies upon your assets so long as you make the monthly payments, then most likely a wage garnishment or other levy process would be allowed in your situation.

I suggest that you call the law firm about the levy on your checking account to see why this happened since you were making your monthly payment. If there is a legal aid program in your community, I suggest that you contact it for further assistance concerning your question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption