If I have a judgment against only me, can the judgment creditor try to collect from my husband who is not a judgment debtor?

UPDATED: Mar 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a judgment against only me, can the judgment creditor try to collect from my husband who is not a judgment debtor?

Judgment is just over $4000. Creditor is an individual. She has started calling my husband at work threatening to garnish his wages but he’s not on the judgment.

Asked on March 19, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of most states in this country, if a judgment is entered against a spouse for an event that happened during the marriage, the marital assets of the marriage such as the wages of the spouse that the judgment was not against would be subject to a wage garnishment.

In your matter, your husband's wages could very well be subject to a wage garnishment with respect to the judgment against you. I suggest that you try and enter into a monthly payment schedule in writing with the judgment creditor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption