Will an previous out-of-state DUI show up in my state of residence if I’m subsequentlycharged with another DUI?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will an previous out-of-state DUI show up in my state of residence if I’m subsequentlycharged with another DUI?

If I have 2 DUI’S in CO and 1 in WY. When I go to court for the third DUI (which I got in CO), can the judge see the out-of state DUI?  Will it show up as 3 DUI’S or just 2? And what would be the sentence?

Asked on December 28, 2010 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Yes, an out-of-state DUI will show up.  The reason is that virtually all state motor vehicle departments have a network whereby each state can share information and communicate with every other state regarding matters such as revocation or suspension. Therefore, your out-of-state DUI will be treated as though in occurred in your home state.

However you don't indicate when you received these previous DUI's.  Most states have what is known as a "look back" rule.  By virtue of this rule, if your DUI conviction happened outside of the  stated timeframe, the court will not consider itfor sentencing purposes (although it will remain on your permanent record). In CO, the look back period is 5 years. What this means is that once 5 years or more have elapsed, a previous DUI conviction will not be considered.  So, for example, if your first DUI was more than 5 years ago, this most recent offense will be considered to be you 2nd DUI; if both previous convictions were more then 5 years ago, then you most recent offense will be considered to be your first (again, for sentencing purposes only).  Here is a site that will explain the penalties for a first (and subsequent) DUI:  http://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/automotive-law/dui.php

Since criminal charges attach to a DUI, you really should consult with an experienced DUI attorney ion the area where the legal proceeding will be held.  Possibly they can get the charge dismissed (or at least reduced).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption