If I had probabtion in Georgia and left to Colorado to live and got pulled over would Colorado extradite me back to Ga?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had probabtion in Georgia and left to Colorado to live and got pulled over would Colorado extradite me back to Ga?

Asked on June 13, 2009 under Criminal Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Yes.  When you violated probation a bench warrant for your arrest would have been issued in Georgia.  And warrants don't expire.  If you are pulled over for a traffic stop this warrant will show up no matter what state that you are in.  At that point, even though Georgia may not have pursued you in Colorado, once they are made aware of your presence there (as in the case of a traffic stop), they will move to extradite.

Your best bet is to hire an attorney in Georgia to advise you on this.  He can work with the court there to have you turn yourself in.  With legal representation you stand a good chance of having the penalties minimized.  Without more details it's hard to say for sure.  What I can tell you is that without handling this straight up you will be looking over your shoulder for the rest of your life.  Even something as simple as an employment background check could turn this all up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption