If I got a theft charge and I want to return the item that was took, can I do so and get my charge lessor?

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got a theft charge and I want to return the item that was took, can I do so and get my charge lessor?

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Before you decide to return the item taken which your are charged with, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about what you want to do with the item taken.

Most likely the unilateral return of the item taken at this point in time would most likely cause more harm than good for you. Based upon what you have written, I doubt that if the item was returned at this point you would receive a lesser charge at this point from the district attorney's office. I suggest that you have a retained criminal defense attorney negotiate any return of the taken item.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption