If I go to a friend’s house to visit them but their roommate does’t want me there, can she call the cops on me?

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I go to a friend’s house to visit them but their roommate does’t want me there, can she call the cops on me?

And, if so, what would be the charges? She said she would call the cops if I ever visited my friend there and said she would get her boyfriend to remove me from the house.

Asked on April 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Any tenant or owner of a property--such as your friend--has the right to have visitors over, unless and only to the extent that there is some legal document (like a lease, which limits vistors in some way) or court order (like a protective order) preventing that. Therefore, your friend's roommate would seem to have no basis for callling the police, and if she did call them, your friend could explain you were there at the friend's invitation.

If the boyfriend threatens, touches, pushes, etc. you, you would be able to call the police on him, for harassment, assault, and/or battery--he has no right to remove you from a premises which you may lawfully be in, such as at your friend's invitation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption