IfI go back to my maiden name, will it affect my house loan or checking account?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI go back to my maiden name, will it affect my house loan or checking account?

I’m recently divorced. My ex-husband signed the house over to me, which is in a joint loan through a auto payment deduct checking account. Judge stated that I didn’t have to refinance.

Asked on August 2, 2011 Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Legally, changing your name will not affect any of your assets (including accounts) or obligations (including a home loan)--people are allowed to legally change their names without affecting rights or responsibilities. That said, as a practical matter, there could be a negative impact if the bank, lender, etc. does not correctly change your name in its files and cross reference matters properly--e.g. if you send in a check signed in your maiden name, but they failed to correct their loan paperwork to reflect the maiden name, they may not credit you properly. This isn't to say that you can't or shouldn't go back to your maiden name--but if you do, make *sure* every institution, vendor, creditor, etc. adjusts their files. Try sending them letters, sent some way you can prove delivery (e.g. fedex, priority mail with delivery confirmation, etc.) with the name change request in writing, then follow up via phone to make sure it's been done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption