If i get laid off in washington state for a medical reason will i qualify for unemployment?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If i get laid off in washington state for a medical reason will i qualify for unemployment?

I’m currently on a disability leave at work but cannot yet return and have been out of work for 5 months. I may get laid off here soon and need to know if I will be able to claim unemployment? I am a diabetic with reaccuring foot ulcers. Do I apply for SSI instead?

Asked on June 7, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

SSI or SSDI would be the better, more appropriate choice. Unemployment is for when you can work but are laid off or terminated not due to your fault; however 1) you can't work, based on what you write; and 2) if you are laid off for being absent too long, that is technically (from the law's point of view) your fault. SSI and SSDI is income for when you cannot work, assuming you meet the various criteria for one or another, which you can find here: https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/disability/

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption