if i get in a car accident and its my fault and i appear in court, but with a driver safety course certificate, will i still lose my license?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if i get in a car accident and its my fault and i appear in court, but with a driver safety course certificate, will i still lose my license?

the car accident was caused by an accidental cross line failure to yield. my insurance company paid for the womans car damage and shes happy. so what happens to me now? i have to appear in cour ton june 15th and i have never gone before and im nervous.

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Accident Law, New York


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT that practices in this area.  Is the the charge a traffic citation or a reckless drivng charge (misdemeanor)?  if the ticket is simply a traffic citation, then you can go yourself and  show the state's atty a copy of your insurance card indicating that there was insurance at the time of the accident and that the insurance company compensated the lady.  Get this from your carrier.  this way the state's atty will see that there is no need to further prosecute you on this.  Ask to make a charitable contribution if anything to resolve it.  if this is a reckless charge, then you want to talk to a  lawyer.  However, the info that you bring to court from your insurance company should suffice to show that this matter should be resolved with no criminal charges on your record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption