If I get a judgement against me, is there an exemption on my car value?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I get a judgement against me, is there an exemption on my car value?

I know I can keep $1,000 in personal property. My car is worth about $800 (I bought it for $300). The suit is for $2,300 plus legal costs. I make about $70 per week and my hours have now been cut. How likely is a creditor to go after a 16 year old car in moderate to poor condition? Does the marshall seizing the car assess its value?

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In most states in this country, a car owned by a judgment debtor is exempt from levy if the car is below a certain value. Usually the threshhold is around $8,000 value of the vehicle.

If you are served with a levy on your car, you need to file a claim of exemption with the court to prevent the loss of your vehicle. Go can go online for forms as to this document. I suggest that if you owe any part of the $2,300 that you enter into a written monthly payment plan with the creditor that you can afford to pay down the obligation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption