If I fire my attorney the day before pre-trial, do you think I will be granted a continuance in order to obtain representation?

UPDATED: May 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I fire my attorney the day before pre-trial, do you think I will be granted a continuance in order to obtain representation?

My attorney wants me to plead guilty and in doing so I will receive the minimum mandatory sentence of 3 years for a drug trafficking charge. I do not want to do this. I want to fire my attorney and seek other representation. I’ve already talked to another attorney butmy pre-trial is tomorrow. If I don’t have an attorney for pre-trial, I would think they would have to grant me a continuance.

Asked on May 31, 2011 under Criminal Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It depends on the discretion of the court whether or not to grant a continaunce; however, not having an attorney and needing additional time to find another attorney would be grounds for a continuance.  You have a right to counsel at all critical stages of the proceedings and therefore you have a good argument for requesting a continuance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption