If I feel that an administrator of an estate is neglected her duties and it’s been 2 years, what can be done about it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I feel that an administrator of an estate is neglected her duties and it’s been 2 years, what can be done about it?

My mom passed away 2 years ago my sister is administrator and don’t know anything what’s going on she won’t tell me I do know there is a will that property be divided up among me and my 3 sisters.

Asked on February 4, 2017 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As an interested party (an heir or beneficiary) you can bring a legal action in chancery court (a part or division of country court) seeking an "accounting" of your sister's administration: that is, to make her "account" what she has been doing as administrator. While you are allowed to bring his action as your own attorney or "pro se," chancery actions are more complicated than, say, filing a small claims case over a fender bender, unreturned security deposit, or unpaid bill; you are strongly advised to retain an attorney to help you. (If determined to do this yourself, the clerk of the court can give you instructions and possibly sample or template forms).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption