If I don’t choose to contest the revocation of my driver’s licence what happens?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I don’t choose to contest the revocation of my driver’s licence what happens?

I’m 19 years oldand I got pulled over last night and blew a 0.04. I was charged with an MIP and a vehicular DWI and they took my licence, but I didn’t get a criminal DWI. I was given the form saying my licence was being revoked and how to contest it. What will likely happen if I contest it? And what will happen if I choose not to?

Asked on January 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, New Mexico


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Request the hearing.  If you do not the DMV will automatically suspend your driving priviledges. 

There are a couple of ways the request can help.  First, it is an opportunity to question the officer without a prosecuting attorney present This is a great opportunity to gather evidence to use in your future criminal proceeding.

Second, if the officer does not show for the hearing, which they have been known to do, you will not lose your license. At least at the DMV stage.

Request the hearing and show up for it.  It cannot hurt.

Hope this helps

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption