If I cash the check I already have, is that saying that I accept the charges that he has listed?

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I cash the check I already have, is that saying that I accept the charges that he has listed?

I just moved out of a rented house after 3 years. My landlord sent me a partial refund on my deposit with a list of why he kept the balance. I do not agree with the charges and am going to write a letter to him. He is gone for the summer and I won’t get an answer until he gets back. If I cash the check I already have, is that saying that I accept the charges that he has listed?

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It depends.  If the check or letter attached to it says anywhere that it is a full refund, then don't cash it.  That could act as an accord and satisfaction, whereby you agree that amount satisfies your claim.  You are more protected if you don't cash it.

Call him and dispute the charges.  Be reasonable.  If he is being unreasonable point his way to California Civil Code Section 1950.5(L).  You should sue in small claims court for your deposit multiplied by two plus costs and interest.  This is what Section 1950.5(l) says:

   (l) The bad faith claim or retention by a landlord or the landlord's successors in interest of the security or any portion thereof inviolation of this section, or the bad faith demand of replacementsecurity in violation of subdivision (j), may subject the landlord orthe landlord's successors in interest to statutory damages of up totwice the amount of the security, in addition to actual damages. Thecourt may award damages for bad faith whenever the facts warrant thataward, regardless of whether the injured party has specificallyrequested relief. In any action under this section, the landlord orthe landlord's successors in interest shall have the burden of proofas to the reasonableness of the amounts claimed or the authoritypursuant to this section to demand additional security deposits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption