If Icannot work because my child was hit by the school bus and is scared to ride it, canI claim unearned income in the insurance claim?

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Icannot work because my child was hit by the school bus and is scared to ride it, canI claim unearned income in the insurance claim?

I was going to go back to work when my child started kindergarten this year but 2 weeks into school the school bus hit her one morning and now she will not get back on the bus. Now Ihave to take her and pick her up from school every day which has become a problem with trying to find work. Can I claim unearned income because of this?

Asked on March 13, 2012 under Personal Injury, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is very unlikely you can do this; the is a doctrine in law which requires parties to mitigate--or minimize--their damages or losses. If you had a job and gave it up to drive your child to/from school, that would not be mitigating your losses, since there are less costly ways--having a neighbor or family member drive her; hiring someone to drive her; taking her to counseling to get  over fear of school buses, just to name a few options--to deal with the situation. Since you would have increased, rather than mitigated, the cost to you, by going with the more costly option, you could not recover the lost income.

And if you don't currently have a job, you can't show that your child's fear or phobia is the reason you can't find work--it could be due to a tight labor market and high unemployment; it could be because your skills and experience are out of date; etc.--and without being able to show a causal link,  you cannot receive compensation. (Wrongful acts must cause a loss to allow recovery.) That is in addition to the failure to mitigate issue discussed above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption