If I buy a product wholesale from a supplier, can I repackage it and still include the supplier’s name on the product?

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I buy a product wholesale from a supplier, can I repackage it and still include the supplier’s name on the product?

Say my company name is ABC Company. For example, if I buy rice wholesale from XYZ corporation, and then just repackage the bulk rice into smaller bags, can the name of the final product be “XYZ Rice by ABC Company” ?

Asked on December 12, 2013 under Business Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can repackage so long as the agreement or terms of sale when you purchased the goods do not state "not for resale" or something similar; if they do, you would be bound by those terms.

However, your proposed naming scheme is problematic, since 1) you would be using the other company's name (which is mostly trademarked or the equivalent) without its permission, potentially violating its intellectual property rights; and 2) you'd be implying a connection (e.g. a licensing or subcontractor relationship) with the other company which does not exist, which is unfair competition. You'd be best off just selling the rise as "XYZ Rice" without naming the original supplier.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption