IfI become unemployed andI can’t make the alimony payments anymore, whatI can do?

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI become unemployed andI can’t make the alimony payments anymore, whatI can do?

Asked on October 25, 2011 under Family Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to go to court and ask the court to modify the alimony or support order. Courts have the power to change their own orders; they will usually only do this if there is a significant change in circumstances, but unemployment may be enough. You'd need to show that based on your income, your assets, and your *necessary* expenses, you simply can't afford to pay what you were directed to pay--so you should review you budget and pare it to the bone; have bank, brokerage, etc. statements; bring with you information regarding lease, mortgage, taxes, etc.; and generally be prepared to demonstrate that the  current payments are not merely a hardship, but are simply impossible. Ideally, have an attorney help you; if you can't afford one, contact the court and inquire into the forms, procecedure, rules, etc. for doing this.

Do not simply not pay--contact the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption