Can I stop my girlfriend from getting an abortion?

UPDATED: Apr 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I stop my girlfriend from getting an abortion?

I don’t want my girlfriend to get an abortion due to my religious beliefs. I am willing to pay for the hospital fees.

Asked on April 13, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Short answer: you cannot stop your girlfriend from getting an abortion, period. You may have parental rights over the child, if it is born--and would be responsible for child support in that instance--but that's only after birth. While a woman is pregnant, abortion is a matter of her control over her body and her right to make her own medical decisions; the law does not grant a man the right to force a woman to go through pregnancy or bear a child.

You can of course discuss the matter with her, offer to pay hospital fees, child support--even offer to raise the child solely yourself--but it remains her choice what to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption