If I am subleasing an apartment, can the landlord make me leave or do I have to be evicted?

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am subleasing an apartment, can the landlord make me leave or do I have to be evicted?

I have talked to the police and they said I have to be evicted. But the apartment complex told my roommate that I have 3 days to move out and they don’t have to evict me because I’m not on the lease.

Asked on April 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The answer to your question lies within what is stated in the master lease of the landlord and the person from whom you leased the unit from. If the master lease does not prohibit the sublease and the landlord knew about you subleasing the unit and you/person who you have sublet the unit from are current in rent, then it seems that you have a right to stay where you are.

Given the complexity of the question you have written and the need to review the master lease and the sublease, I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney further about your question for a more definitive answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption