If I am executor of my father’s Will, can his new girlfriend take his money?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am executor of my father’s Will, can his new girlfriend take his money?

My mom died last year and everything went to my 80 year old dad. He has been seeing a 65 year woman for a year and says he will now sell his home and buy a new one with her. We believe my dad is in the early stages of dementia but refuses to let me bring him to a doctor he can’t cook, drive or do his finances anymore – he is confused and can’t remember anything from one day to the next. I am executor of his will and have POA if he is incapacitated or incompetent. He has a 500,000 estate. If they live together ‘common law’ will she have rights to his money?

Asked on May 21, 2016 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Common law marriages are no longer recognized by the state of GA. Therefore, this woman would only be entitled to a part of your father's estate if they were to enter into a formal marriage. And if he is as impaired as you say, then even if he were to marry his girlfriend, it may be possible to have the marriage annulled due to lack of mental capacity.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption