What to do if I am co-owner on a mortgage and my partner filed bankruptcy but I cannot make payments alone as I am on disability?

UPDATED: May 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I am co-owner on a mortgage and my partner filed bankruptcy but I cannot make payments alone as I am on disability?

I do not have an assets other than personal belongings such as TV and computer. Should I file bankruptcy or just let the bank reclaim mortgage.

Asked on May 19, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your state allows "deficiency judgments"--that is, if the lender forecloses on property but the property is worth less than the then-current balance of the loan, the lender could sue the borrower(s) for the difference between what it realizes from foreclosing on and selling the property and what they owe on the loan. Therefore, if you are underwater on the mortgage and IF the bank does come after you personally for any amounts due, you  may wish to consider bankruptcy, though disability income is typically exempt from execution or garnshment (a creditor cannot take it); however, unless the home is worth less than the loan and the lender does actually take the step of trying to sue you for the money, there would seem to be, from what you write, little incentive for you to go through the bankruptcy process. Simply letting the bank have the property may be all you need to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption