If I’m paying for a car but its in my grandma’s name, if she decides to take it canI get any compensation?

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m paying for a car but its in my grandma’s name, if she decides to take it canI get any compensation?

She’s giving it to her “boy toy” and we’ve been paying for 2 years. Are we allowed to get anything or is she even allowed to repo it?

Asked on February 8, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You are not in the best position here unless you can prove a contract or agreement between you and your Grandmother regarding the vehicle.  Just because an agreement is not in writing but rather made orally does not mean that it is not valid.  In other words, you just have to prove the elements of a contract were met and that you have been living up to your end of the bargain.  I would speak with someone in your area on the matter.  There can be certain pitfalls to oral agreements that are part of the local law. It is better than having the car you have paid for being taken from you without a fight.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption