If I am being sued for subrogation, what happens if I have no assets or money?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am being sued for subrogation, what happens if I have no assets or money?

I am on disability without any extra income to afford paying back anything to the insurance company. I had an uninsured vehicle and my passenger was hurt. It was the other vehicle that ran a red light into my vehicle. I am unsure where they would get any money if I have nothing.

Asked on October 30, 2015 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

They can get a judgment against you IF you were at fault: if the other vehicle was at fault, they should not be able to recover money from you, because liability in auto accidents depends on fault. To win, they would have to prove in court that you were at fault in causing the accident. If they can't do that, you would win.
If they do get a judgment against you, if your only income is disability, you should be effectively "collection proof": SSI disability and state disability cannot be garnished, or have a portion of the payments diverted to, your creditor (including judgment creditors). (Caution: once the money is in the bank, however, it's far game to be levied upon; don't keep too much of a bank balance if you can help it). 
There's no harm in speaking with a bankruptcy attorney, but bankruptcy doesn't work against the vast majority of school debt, and, as stated, your disability income should be safe from garnishment; bankruptcy may not actually help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption