If I am being charged with a misdemeanor theft of a value less than $100, what am I looking at for my sentencing?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am being charged with a misdemeanor theft of a value less than $100, what am I looking at for my sentencing?

Asked on October 13, 2014 under Criminal Law, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First of all, not that I condone stealing, if you have a clean record and a diversion program is available to you so that the charges are reduced or go away completely, why are you not consulting with a lawyer in person to help?  A conviction will have to be divulged on every job and school application your whole life.  Employers do not like thieves in their midst.  Get help.  But in response to your question see below.

Simple Misdemeanor Theft. The theft of property valued at no more than $200 is theft in the fifth degree, a simple misdemeanor under Iowa law. This level of theft is sometimes known as "petty theft," and is the lowest level degree of theft in Iowa. (Iowa Code § 714.2(5).)

A person convicted of a simple misdemeanor can receive a sentence of a fine ranging from $65 to $625 and incarceration for not more than 30 days. (Iowa Code § 903.1(1)(a).)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption