If I am allergic to the pest control chemicals I get severe migraines, can my landlord force this on me ?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am allergic to the pest control chemicals I get severe migraines, can my landlord force this on me ?

I am disabled renting an
apartment I am allergic to
the chemicals in the pest
control spraying. I get severe
migraines, I expressed this
situation to the leasing
agent. Her response was – I
What are my rights ? Btw I do
not have ANY bugs or roaches,
not ONE
Please advise
I live in Florida
Thank you

Asked on July 14, 2017 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can. The lanldord has an obligation to *all* its tenants to maintain a pest-free environment. That can only be done by spraying or exterminating in all units, since any unit not exertminated can provide a locus for an infestation to develop. That you are allergic to these chemicals does not override the landlord's obligation to the entire apartment community. You also cannot force them to spend more for a "natural" product or use a less-effective natural product, since it is not reasonable for them to change their behavior in regards to the whole building for one tenant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption