If I am a medical marijuana license holder can I be terminated if I test produce for thc on a random drug test?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am a medical marijuana license holder can I be terminated if I test produce for thc on a random drug test?

I have the license and my company put a rider
on the drug policy that made it seem ok to have
medical marijuana, but now they say if I test
positive I will be terminated.

Asked on January 3, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Under the Supemacy Clause to the Constitution, federal law does generally override state law. (Federal law is "supreme.") If your company is under federal regulation or could lose federal licensing, subsidies, contracts, etc. for drug use in the workplace, then they are correct: state law will not apply. If state law and its employment protections do not apply, you could be terminated for testing positive for THC, since it is still an illegal drug under federal law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption