If I’m 17 years old and walking down the street after curfew, can a cop legally stop and ask for my ID?

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m 17 years old and walking down the street after curfew, can a cop legally stop and ask for my ID?

And if so, do I have to present it to him?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, Cops have the right to legally stop you and ask you for your ID. To detain yyou  ( either by a formal arrest or under circumstances where you objectively had no right tl leave ), the Cop must have a reasonable suspicion that you are engaged in criminal activity. If you were out past curfew and are young looking, that may equate to reasonble suspicion that you were out past the curfew ( i.e., in violation of the Ordinance or Law establishing the curfew ).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption