If Iaccidentally failed to pay a fine, if I pay it now will the charges most likely be dropped?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iaccidentally failed to pay a fine, if I pay it now will the charges most likely be dropped?

I am currently paying on a surcharge through my state’s driver responsibility program. I didn’t know that it was for 3 years, so paid off a year and left it alone assuming it was over. When I was pulled over the officer informed me my license was suspended for the last 4 months. I didn’t receive any letter informing me about the suspension. I already paid the surcharge and my license should be re-instated before my court date. I was just wondering since it was an honest mistake if I would still be penalized for it?

Asked on June 21, 2011 under General Practice, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You have a responsibility as a driver to ensure you are properly licensed and properly insured, among other responsibilities. If you have a fine (through a ticket or court ordered penalty), then you have a responsibility to ensure those fines are fully paid and make sure you keep the proper paperwork for it. Here, if you had a surcharge, you need to first find the original paperwork and find out if you were to only pay for one year or until it was paid off and if you had the total amount owed. Once you find out, then you will know if the pay off satisfied it or if the DMV made a mistake. If you have a court date, make sure you have all of that paperwork ready to go and show you honestly thought (based on documentation) that you satisfied the surcharge. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption