If caught shoplifting for the first time, what will the judge possibly give as punishment?

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If caught shoplifting for the first time, what will the judge possibly give as punishment?

Is there a way to get the record expunged?

Asked on January 26, 2012 under Criminal Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

if you are a minor who has been caught shoplifting for the first time, most likely you will get court probation where you have to do community service and pay a fine. Assuming you stay out of trouble during the period of your court probation, the charge is usually then dismissed.

The same typically is true if you are an adult, however the fine is usually more significant. However, if you have a prior criminal record, if you plead guilty to the shoplifting charge, it will not be dismissed by the court most likely.

If you are convicted of the charge, usually it takes four to five years before even maiing an attempt to expunge it is worthwhile. Not all petititions to expunge a conviction are granted. The court looks to see what the crime that one was convicted was for, how long ago it happened, what the person seeking the expungement has done since the conviction and the reasons why the expungement is desired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption