If themaximum is $2500 for small claims court in my state, is there another way to go about collecting over $5500 from a deliquent client?

UPDATED: May 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If themaximum is $2500 for small claims court in my state, is there another way to go about collecting over $5500 from a deliquent client?

I have 19 separate invoices totaling $5500. Client is located in nother state.

Asked on May 7, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can file your lawsuit for breach of contract/account stated in a higher court in your state, such as Municipal or Superior Court.  Your state might have different names for the higher courts.  You can have the summons and complaint (the complaint is the lawsuit attached to the summons) served on the defendant by a process server located in or near the city where the defendant is located.  You can find process servers listed under attorney services online or in the Yellow Pages.

A lawsuit can be filed where the plaintiff resides or where the defendant resides or where the claim arose.  Your damages (the amount you are seeking to recover in your lawsuit) should include the amount you are owed plus court costs.  Court costs would include the court filing fee and process server fee.

You might also be able to file in Small Claims Court in the state where the defendant resides and appear at the hearing by telephone if that state's Small Claims Court jurisdiction allows recovery of the amount of damages you are seeking in your lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption