if another driver is in an accident in my car, can i be sued?

UPDATED: May 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if another driver is in an accident in my car, can i be sued?

a friend can’t afford mva fines to get tags for his car. Can I put his car in my name & on my insurance? If he’s in an accident, will it affect me/my rates or will it all be on him? What could happen to me if he gets a ticket or in an accident? Will my rates increase on my other cars?

Asked on May 14, 2009 under Insurance Law, Maryland


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I would not suggest doing this.  To register the car in your name, the title must be in your name, so you have to "buy" the car from your friend before you register it.  You would have to add it to your insurance policy and the premium would be your responsibility.  If he has an accident, it could absolutely affect your rates if the accident was his fault.  You could also be sued as the registered owner of the vehicle, especially because you're the one with the insurance.  Most moving violations would be his responsibility, but parking tickets are tied to the vehicle, not the driver, so if he wants to stick you with them, they're yours.  Are you planning to tell your insurance company that you will not be the main driver?  You may need to add him as an additional insured on your policy which could also increase your rates depending on his driving record.  I would advise against this entire plan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption