If an incident happened May 4 is it legal for the reporting party to write a statement May 12 and they arrest you may 13?

UPDATED: May 28, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an incident happened May 4 is it legal for the reporting party to write a statement May 12 and they arrest you may 13?

My son is on curfew and they’re saying he broke his curfew which he didn’t. He ran back inside when he was told he was under arrest, so they’re trying to get him for another curfew violation. I don’t see how this is possible if he never left the house and turned himself in with me later that night. He did resist arrest, but he said they never told him they has a warrant, now do they have to show a warrant? the officer said no that they dont’ even have to show a search warrant anymore.

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Criminal Law, New Hampshire


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The general rule is that as long as a crime is prosecuted within the statute of limitations, a statement may be taken and an arrest warrant may be generated at any time after the alleged crime.  Since the incidents that you have described all took place within a two week period, it does not appear that there was any misconduct with respect to when the incident was reported and when your son was arrested.  

In my opinion, the more important issue here is whether your son did, in fact, violate his curfew.  The electronic monitoring devices used by the state malfunction and are often unreliable.  If your son was, in fact, home at the time of the alleged violation, a skilled attorney should be able to demonstrate to the prosecutor that no violation occurred by, 1) hiring an expert to generate a report and/or testify with respect to the malfunction or unreliability of the monitoring device in this instance, and 2) gathering statements and other evidence (such as an affidavit from each of your son's family members stating that he was home at the time of the alleged violation) to corroborate the expert's theory that the monitoring device did, in fact, malfunction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption